Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Best Breakfast Ever!

I make sure to eat a good breakfast every single morning. A cup of coffee and tiny nutrigrain bar just doesn't cut it for me. This is my go-to breakfast, especially after a morning workout. I start with low fat yogurt. I like Yoplait, usually either blackberry, blueberry, or vanilla. I top the yogurt with either fresh berries or frozen thawed berries, depending on what is in season. I went to the grocery store today and a 1/2 pint of blackberries was $7! Yikes! I refuse to pay that much for 12 blackberries. Instead, I buy a big bag of frozen mixed berries. When I get home from the grocery store, I divide up the big bag into individual baggies and put them in the freezer. When I wake up in the morning, I grab a bag from the freezer and just let it thaw on the counter. Usually by the time I'm ready for breakfast the berries are thawed. If not, I throw them in the microwave for a few seconds. Today, I also sliced half a banana to add to the mix. I top the fruit and yogurt with a 1/2 cup of low fat granola. I usually buy Special K low fat honey granola. Granola can have A LOT of calories, I am always careful to not go overboard. Sometimes I  divide up the box of granola into individual baggies as well. This helps a lot with portion control and also is great for days when I am rushing out the door and need to eat breakfast at the office.

I do this with other snacks too. I keep a big bowl in the cupboard filled with baggies of low fat crackers, granola bars, dried fruit, and other healthy snacks. I keeps small baggies of grapes and other fruit, low fat string cheese and 60 calorie dark chocolate pudding cups in the fridge. These snacks can be lunch or dinner on some of my crazy days. For example on Tuesdays I go straight from work to Spanish class and don't get home until after 10:00pm. My only dinner option is a pastry from a French bakery or something out of a vending machine, so it really helps to plan ahead. Anyway, the yogurt, fruit and granola combo makes a great breakfast. It keeps me full all morning and tastes as great as it looks.

No comments: