Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Adobo Shrimp over Rice

After a long work week, I didn't want to do anything tonight including going running or to the grocery store. It is only about 27*, which seems really cold after a week in the 50's*, and that makes walking (or running) anywhere just a little more miserable. I ended up going to the gym anyway, even though I really didn't want to. I told myself that I would run a quick three miles and then call it quits for the nights. Right as I was about to get off the treadmill, the newest episode of Top Chef All-Stars came on, which I hadn't seen. I am completely obsessed with this show and watch it every week. I think "All-Stars" is one of the best seasons yet. All of the chefs are so talented and cook dishes that are way out of my league. Needless to say, I stayed on the treadmill an extra 60 minutes and worked up quite the appetite.

Since I didn't want to go to the grocery store, I had to make due with what was in my fridge. I sauteed frozen corn and fresh shredded broccoli and carrots with chipotles in an adobo sauce. After a few minutes I added in some shrimp and a little extra adobo sauce. In a separate pot I cooked some white basmati rice. Chipotles in adobo is a traditionally Spanish/Latin American flavor, while basmati rice is more Pakistani/Indian ingredient. It might seem like a strange combo, but I like it because basmati is lighter and fluffier than traditional rice. Overall, this is another quick and healthy weeknight meal.

No comments: