Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Homemade Chewy Oatmeal Bars

I was contemplating making oatmeal cookies tonight until Angela sent me this recipe for homemade oatmeal bars. I already had all of the ingredients, so I thought, why not? The recipe is super simple and very healthy. There are only about 165 calories per bar, with lots of protien and fiber. 

Ingredients:
1.5 cups rolled oats
.5 cups chopped walnuts and almonds
.5 cups dried cherries, blueberries, raisins & cranberries
.25 cups mini chocolate chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs honey
1 tps salt
1.25 cups skim milk
1 egg
1 tps vanilla

Directions:
 Preaheat oven to 375*
Mix dry ingredients
Mix wet ingredients
Add the went ingredients to the dry and combine
Spread into 9x9 baking dish lined with parchment paper
Bake for 40 minutes
Let bars cool before cutting into squares

These bars are not crunchy like a granola bar. They are soft and moist. Next time I will not add in the 1 tsp of salt. The walnuts and almonds are salty enough. After cooling and cutting the bars, I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. They are a great grab-and-go snack or breakfast on the run. 

Angela made this recipe last night too. She added peanut butter and brown sugar to hers. I will definitely try that next time. Click here to see how hers turned out!


No comments: