Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Egg & Turkey Breakfast Sandwich

I wasn't very happy about losing an hour of sleep Saturday night due to Day Light Savings because I had big plans for Sunday morning. The weather was supposed to be beautiful and I really wanted to go for a long run. I am usually pretty busy during the week, so I save my long runs for Sunday.


My goal was to run 10 miles, so I knew I needed a healthy breakfast to get me started and keep me going throughout my run. I sauteed an egg white seasoned with salt and pepper and toasted a whole wheat "bagel thin" in the toaster. "Bagel thins" are shaped like bagels, but are thin (obviously) and only have 100 calories, versus 350-400 calories in a normal bagel. Once the egg was cooked, I topped it with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese and some spicy pineapple mango salsa and placed it on one side of the bagel. On the other side, I put 2 slices of lean honey smoked turkey and a few strips of red and yellow bell peppers.






The sandwich was a perfect and delicious combination of protein, iron, carbs, and nutrients from the fresh veggies.  I finished the 10 miles in about an hour and 40 minutes and discovered an almost perfect 10 mile loop. For those of you familiar with the area, I ran from Ballston, Va down Wilson Blvd. and across the Key Bridge. Once in Georgetown, I ran along the Potomac River to the Lincoln Memorial and across the Memorial Bridge to Arlington Cemetery. Once back in Virginia, I ran from the cemetery along the Potomac River back to the Key Bridge. The last three miles of my run was from the Key Bridge back up Wilson Blvd. to Ballston. This was definitely the hardest part because it is generally uphill! I can't wait to try the route again and improve my time.
Memorial Bridge to the Lincoln Memorial
I am really lucky that DC has so many beautiful running trails. I can't wait to explore all of them this Spring!

No comments: