Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Biscuits with Almonds

I spent most of last night trying to stay busy waiting for the Season Finale of Top Chef. I worked pretty late, went tanning, stopped by the grocery store, hit the gym, and made these fabulous biscuits. Don't judge about the tanning please. I know it's not great for you, but the weather has reverted back to winter and I NEED some warmth and color. Anyway, the gym went well. I ran in the morning so after work I did a quick three miles and then 15 minutes of abs and arms.

I chose to make these biscuits because I really like to bake but wasn't in the mood for something sweet (I know right?? so strange...). I found this recipe in the Food Network Favorite's Cookbook. It is from Giada di Laurentiis' great grandmother and had lots and lots of good reviews on the website. The best part is that I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen and only had to buy the ricotta. 


Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 salt
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tbs grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese (I used skim)
1 large egg
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup thinly sliced almonds
For Glaze:
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350*. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.

2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta. Add the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract. Mix in the dry ingredients and stir until blended. The batter will be think and fluffy.
A micro-plane is the easiest way to zest a lemon
3. Divide the batter among 12 muffin cup paper liners. Sprinkle the almonds and some sugar over the biscuits and bake until lightly golden, or about 25 minutes.

Ready for the oven


4. Cool slightly and top with the lemon glaze. The lemon glaze isn't part of the recipe. I added this to make the biscuits slightly sweet. I came across this easy glaze during my Christmas baking extravaganza and loved it!
The perfect mix of savory and sweet

The biscuits are a little savory, a little sweet, and refreshing with the lemon zest. They are a perfect brunch item. 

While the biscuits were in the oven, I made a quick pita pizza for dinner. I used a whole wheat pita topped with a tbs of marinara sauce and some shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese. I threw it in the oven on the bottom rack for a few minutes until the pita was crispy and the cheese was melted. Yum :)

I enjoyed the pizza during the Top Chef episode and the biscuit for dessert. P.S. my prediction was right, Richard won! Now we just have to wait for the premier of Top Chef Masters. 
5 minute meal

No comments: